1954: When two or more are gathered…..
A mission church began worshiping in October 1954, in what was then the “new” Farmington High School.
A few short months later, First Presbyterian Church of Farmington was chartered on the floor of the 166th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the USA. On May 20, 1954, 141 One hundred and forty-one people walked across the stage of the Masonic Temple in Detroit and were received into membership in the new First Presbyterian Church of Farmington.
Come to the Corner
The property for the new First Church at the corner of Farmington and Eleven Mile roads was purchased in 1955. The five-acre site came complete with a residence, Knox House, which became the church offices. A small barn, never used as such, became the chapel. The first worship service there took place in October, 1955.
A new church building was formally dedicated in 1961 and an activities addition, or fellowship hall followed in 1972. In 1980, the congregation voted to expand and reverse the sanctuary, making it more comfortable and energy-efficient. During the 1990’s, stained glass has been added at the front and side windows.
By the early 1990’s, the church’s needs had outgrown its office, school and fellowship space. This prompted the construction of a new wing, which was dedicated in May, 1994. As part of that program, the original Knox House residence was sold and moved to the corner of Ten Mile and Farmington Roads. The barn, or original chapel, had been decommissioned and removed from the property earlier.